1. Sci-fi fans across the universe were “stunned” to learn that most space battles in the movies simply aren’t possible. Watch the video below to learn more about “The Physics of Space Battles”.
2. Everyone has probably heard by now that bats transmit Ebola, but these critters are vectors for many other diseases, too. Learn why in the video below. A recent review on bat flight and zoonotic viruses can be found here.
3. Here is an amazing video of a monster red leech devouring a giant worm. Real world Godzilla-like action!
4. Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia. What do you mean you don’t know what that is? Did you just eat some ice cream or something?
5. This is a hell of a good video that reveals some psychological tricks to get others to do what you want. Watch it now, dammit! And let me know if the swearing trick worked!
Science quote of the week:
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” –Neil deGrasse Tyson
Contributed by: Bill SullivanFollow Bill on Twitter: @wjsullivan
O'Shea TJ, Cryan PM, Cunningham AA, Fooks AR, Hayman DT, Luis AD, Peel AJ, Plowright RK, & Wood JL (2014). Bat flight and zoonotic viruses. Emerging infectious diseases, 20 (5), 741-5 PMID: 24750692