1. Summer is the time for BBQ. Learn the science of BBQ in this video by It’s Okay To Be Smart.
2. Ever wonder how they get the caffeine out of coffee? Ever wonder what they do with it once it is extracted?
3. Want to know how Tylenol works? Well, so do scientists!
4. The hills might have eyes, but plants have ears! Scientists claim that plants can even hear themselves being eaten alive…much like a graduate student at a thesis defense.
5. How do you turn someone on (or off)? Stimulate their claustrum. Their what?!
Science quote of the week:
"The future belongs to science and those who make friends with science." --Jawaharlal Nehru
Contributed by: Bill SullivanFollow Bill on Twitter: @wjsullivan
Koubeissi, M., Bartolomei, F., Beltagy, A., & Picard, F. (2014). Electrical stimulation of a small brain area reversibly disrupts consciousness Epilepsy & Behavior, 37, 32-35 DOI: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2014.05.027